Ant McPartlin sentenced after pleading guilty to drink driving

ant mcpartlin bgt

Ant McPartlin has been sentenced by the courts after pleading guilty to drink driving.

Ant was involved in a three car-crash last month and appeared in court today.

His appearance was originally set for earlier this month, but was adjourned after the star checked himself into rehab.

Facing magistrates this afternoon, Ant was disqualified from driving for 20 months. He was told this could be reduced to 15 months on completion of a drink-driving referral programme.

He was also fined £86,000 after the court heard how the TV presenter makes £130,000 a week.

ant itv

In a statement, Ant said: "I'm very sorry I did this. I'm ashamed and mortified that this happened."

His barrister told the court that Ant had been getting treatment for "alcohol and emotional issues" after struggling with the break up of his marriage.

Describing the incident as "a brief relapse unbeknownst to his passenger," they added: "Anthony McPartlin is sorry. He is doing everything he can so this never happens again. He hopes that in time he can make himself better and he might be forgiven by all the people he feels he has let down so terribly."

Ant has already stepped down from TV work for the foreseeable future, leaving co-host Dec to front the final two episodes of Saturday Night Takeaway alone.

And while he currently appears on Britain's Got Talent in pre-recorded scenes, Ant won't be present for the live shows later in the year.

At the weekend, BGT boss Simon Cowell backed Ant after the Geordie sought treatment following his car accident.

"We’ve known each other a long time, and you stand by the people you work with over the years, for the obvious reasons," Simon said. “We always stand by our friends. We’re all human.

“The most important thing is he’s manned up, he’s going to get himself back together. And the show goes on, it’s as simple as that.”

Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway
Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway

Speaking to The Sun newspaper, Simon said Ant would be welcome back to host the 2019 series: “Of course. This is what happens.

“This is happening to people all over the world. People, for whatever reason, they get into a rut and at times like this you stand by your mates. It’s always been that way.”

As well as Saturday Night Takeaway and Britain's Got Talent, Ant and Dec host I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here.

Details on what will happen with this year's series have yet to be confirmed.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube

Comments have been disabled on this post (probably for legal reasons)