Brendan Cole doesn't want to return to Strictly Come Dancing - unless he's a judge

Brendan Cole

Brendan Cole says he wouldn't return to Strictly Come Dancing as a pro dancer.

Brendan had been a professional performer on the show for the past 14 years but announced his exit on ITV's Lorraine earlier in 2018.

Returning to the morning chat show this week to promote his new dance tour, Brendan ruled out ever making a comeback.

At least, as a pro dancer.

"It's totally a part of my past now, I have had the most amazing year," he said. "This has come at just the right time for me and I have had so many incredible opportunities which I wouldn't have otherwise had if I hadn't been on the show.

"Strictly takes over your life. If they asked, I wouldn't go back unless it was in another role."

He added: "I would go back in a different role. I would love to be a judge..."

Meanwhile, giving his thoughts on this year's series so far, Brendan admitted he was shocked that Susannah Constantine and Anton du Beke were the first couple to leave the contest.

"I am a little bit surprised she went, because the underdog usually gets a boost from the audience," he said. "Having said that, it wasn't very good. I felt really sorry for her, it just felt like she didn't know what was going on."

Brendan revealed back in January that the BBC had decided not to renew his contract.

"They've made an editorial decision not to have me back on the show," he said. "I'm in shock. I got a phone call. I've had 15 incredible series. I've never been contracted for more than one year. I still wanted to be part of it. My passion is still very much there."

Brendan admitted: "I'm disappointed. I've always known this day would come. I'm a very strong character, some don't like that."

Alongside Brendan Chloe Hewitt who joined in 2016 also left this year's series.

The BBC said: "The Strictly team would like to thank both of them for their considerable contribution to the show and wish them all the very best for the future."

Following the exits, the BBC have announced a trio of new professionals.

The three new world-class dancers joining the show are Italian Latin Champion Graziano Di Prima, Professional South African Latin Champion Johannes Radebe and four-time winner of the Italian Dance Championship Luba Mushtuk.

Strictly Come Dancing airs on BBC One Saturday and Sunday night on BBC One.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube