Furious ITV bosses demand tighter controls following Take Me Out controversy

Take Me Out: Paddy McGuinnessInfuriated bosses at ITV have apparently demanded a tighter selection process for Take Me Out following revelations about two contestants' private lives.

Over 5million viewers tuned watched as Aaron Withers and Wen Jing Mo hooked up in the dating show's series debut last Saturday.

But in the week since, it has emerged that both have previously worked as escorts - with Jing Mo charging £200 an hour for 'sexual favours' - while Withers also has a conviction for assaulting a woman and her boyfriend.

Incredibly, the pair hid their pasts from production company Talkback Thames - and The Mirror reports that ITV's top brass have told them that it is 'unacceptable' to let shady characters appear.

A 'senior source' told the newspaper: "Letting these types of people on to what is supposed to be an early evening family show is totally unacceptable. Things need to change – and fast.

"The ITV brand is being dragged through the mud. The experienced people who are making these shows have been left in no doubt as to the level of disappointment and dismay here. They accept there are ways in which these scandals can be prevented.

"This whole incident has been extremely embarrassing."

A Talkback Thames spokesperson said: "During the application process we ask contestants to declare any convictions and background checks are carried out on each individual. Aaron’s criminal record did not come to light.

"We will be reviewing procedures."

ITV previously came under fire last year when it was revealed Red Or Black? winner Nathan Hageman served five years in jail for attacking his ex-girlfriend.

Subscribe on YouTube