World on Fire is the brand new drama on BBC One - from the cast to first spoilers, here's all you need to know.
Written by multi-award winning writer Peter Bowker, World On Fire is a heart-stopping, multi-stranded drama telling the story of World War Two through the lives of ordinary people from all sides of this global conflict.
A teaser reveals that the series will take us across the first year of the war, from ordinary life in Manchester to the beaches of Dunkirk, getting right under the skin and into the hearts and minds of those living their lives during this extraordinary time as they grapple with the unthinkable: a world in flames.
World on Fire cast
- Nancy Campbell - Played by Helen Hunt
- Robina Chase - Played by Lesley Manville
- Douglas Bennett - Played by Sean Bean
- Harry Chase - Played by Jonah Hauer-King
- Lois Bennett - Played by Julia Brown
- Tom Bennett - Played by Ewan Mitchell
- Kasia Tomaszeski - Played by Zofia Wichłacz
- Grzegorz Tomaszeski - Played by Mateusz Więcławek
- Webster O’Connor - Played by Brian J. Smith
- Albert Fallou - Played by Parker Sawyers
- Stan Raddings - Played by Blake Harrison
- Henriette Guilbert - Played by Eugénie Derouand
- Claudia Rossler - Played by Victoria Mayer
- Connie Knight - Played by Yrsa Daley-Ward
- Konrad - Played by Borys Szyc
- Ewe Rossler - Played by Johannes Zeller
World on Fire air date
World on Fire started on Sunday September 29 at 9PM on BBC One.
The series has seven episodes airing weekly on Sunday nights at 9PM.
As well as watching on TV, the series will be available to watch online via BBC iPlayer.
You can also pre-order the entire series on DVD here.
World on Fire spoilers
World on Fire begins in Summer 1939. Translator Harry (Jonah Hauer-King) is working at the British Embassy in Warsaw, falling in love with Polish waitress Kasia (Zofia Wichłacz). When German tanks roll into Poland and Britain declares war on Germany, Harry and Kasia are faced with terrible choices.
With her life in grave danger, the only way for Kasia to be safe is to escape. Can Harry help her - and if he does, how will he ever explain himself to factory worker and singer Lois Bennett (Julia Brown), the girl he left behind in Manchester?
As the Nazi threat spreads across Europe, Kasia must choose between love and fighting for her country, Harry must find his place in the world, and Lois seizes new opportunities the war throws up.
The conflict overturns everything for Harry's snobbish mother Robina (Lesley Manville) and for Douglas (Sean Bean), Lois' pacifist father, and her firecracker younger brother Tom (Ewan Mitchell), who joins the navy and finds himself under fire in one of the first major battles of the war.
In Berlin, outspoken American journalist Nancy (Helen Hunt) risks her life trying to help her neighbours the Rosslers from the attentions of the ruling Nazi regime, while in Paris Nancy's nephew, medic Webster (Brian J. Smith) refuses to leave the city and the man he loves.
World on Fire airs at 9PM Sunday nights on BBC One.