Gentleman Jack is a brand new drama airing on BBC One - who's on the cast and what's it all about?
From the Bafta award winning writer Sally Wainwright (Happy Valley, Last Tango In Halifax, To Walk Invisible) comes Gentleman Jack, a remarkable and unlikely love story based on the diaries of Anne Lister.
The story is set in Halifax, 1832. Rejected by aristocratic Vere Hobart, Anne Lister returns to her shabby ancestral home, Shibden Hall, determined to restore its fortunes and find herself a wife.
The eight part series started at 9PM on Sunday, May 19 on BBC One. You can watch episodes online and catch up via the BBC iPlayer.
Gentleman Jack cast
- Anne Lister... Suranne Jones
- Ann Walker... Sophie Rundle
- Jeremy Lister... Timothy West
- Aunt Anne Lister... Gemma Jones
- Marian Lister... Gemma Whelan
- Mariana Lawton... Lydia Leonard
- Vere Hobart... Jodhi May
- Eliza Priestley... Amelia Bullmore
- William Priestley... Peter Davison
- Aunt Ann Walker... Stephanie Cole
- Christopher Rawson... Vincent Franklin
- Jeremiah Rawson... Shaun Dooley
- Samuel Washington... Joe Armstrong
- Elizabeth Cordingley... Rosie Cavaliero
- John Booth... Thomas Howes
- Eugenie Pierre... Albane Courtois
- Sam Sowden... Anthony Flanagan
- Thomas Sowden... Tom Lewis
Gentleman Jack spoilers
Set in 1832 in Halifax. Anne Lister (Suranne Jones) returns from Hastings to Shibden Hall, having discovered that her would-be companion and lover, the aristocratic Vere Hobart (Jodhi May), has accepted a marriage proposal from a man.
Despite her affection for her elderly aunt (Gemma Jones), Anne is frustrated by the shabbiness of her ancestral home and finds her father (Timothy West) and long-suffering sister (Gemma Whelan) difficult to live with. A visit from her ex-lover Mariana Lawton (Lydia Leonard) compounds Anne’s fear that she is destined to be alone.
However, when Anne discovers that her land is rich in coal, her plans to transform the estate soon provide a welcome distraction from her broken heart.
On the neighbouring estate, Crow Nest, shy heiress Ann Walker (Sophie Rundle) is quietly delighted to hear that charismatic Anne Lister is back.
Meanwhile, Anne’s servants and tenants have problems of their own. A hit-and-run accident on Shibden land puts a child’s life at risk, and Anne’s French maid Eugénie finds herself in trouble.
The next episode airs on Sunday, June 9 at 9PM on BBC One.