Dermot O'Leary fears Simon Cowell will ditch him after The Marriage Ref flops

Dermot O'Leary

Dermot O'Leary is reportedly worried about the future of his career after the flop of his new show The Marriage Ref. According to sources, the X Factor host is now nervous he'll be ditched by Simon Cowell the next series of The X Factor here in the UK.

Dermot's new ITV1 show, which sees a panel of comics comment and debate trivial conflicts between couples, has slipped to less than 1.8 million viewers on Saturday nights - a mere tenth of the 20 million viewers that tune into The X Factor at the same time in the autumn.

Ratings have got so bad that ITV had shafted the show to a late night slot at 10PM for the rest of the series.

[ad#ArticleAdLeft300]

The flop comes after Dermot was snubbed for the hosting gig on the US version of the show. "I wanted to get the job… I didn’t get the job," he said earlier this month. But feeling optimistic at the time, Dermot added: "That’s about it. The thing is, is that there are too many people unemployed in this country, so I’m not going to start bleating about the fact… that’s not the way I was brought up. You don’t start bleating about the fact you don’t get a job."

However a source revealed this week how the primetime host is worried about the future of his telly career.

"Dermot is feeling a bit nervous and panicky about the direction his career is taking. He's have a complete confidence crisis," a source said.

"He has The UK X Factor but he's concerned Simon [Cowell] might drop him next year for someone younger," the source continued to Star magazine. The Marriage Ref was his chance to move more mainstream and it doesn't look like it is working out as he anticipated."

Dermot returns to The X Factor next month on ITV1.

> Dermot O'Leary protects Tulisa Contostavlos from rowdy 'chavs'

Subscribe on YouTube