Saturday Night Takeaway CANCELLED for 2019 as Ant and Dec make big announcement

ant-dec-saturday-night-takeaway

Saturday Night Takeaway will not air in 2019, it has been announced today.

It comes as Ant McPartlin revealed he would also not host I'm A Celebrity this year, continuing to step down from TV work for the rest of the year.

Ant stepped down from TV commitments earlier this year, taking time off “for the foreseeable future” to seek treatment in rehab after being charged with drink driving.

Today an announcement for the pair confirmed that Ant would not return to TV until next year.

The statement continued: "In addition Ant and Dec have made the joint decision not to present a new series of Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway in Spring 2019. Production and filming for a Saturday Night Takeaway series in February would normally have already started, and continue throughout 2018 and early 2019.

"Neither Ant & Dec nor ITV wanted to compromise the quality of the show and therefore felt it was better to rest the series next year.

"They will instead bring the show back in 2020, bigger and better than ever."

In his own message, Ant said: “My recovery is going very well and for that to continue having spoken to Dec and ITV, I have made the decision to take the rest of the year off.

"I’d like to thank both Dec and ITV for their continued support and I look forward to getting back to work in the new year."

Dec added: “Whilst I am obviously sad at the thought of being without my best friend in Australia this year, I am proud of the work Ant has been doing privately and I am fully supportive of his decision."

ITV said that plans for I'm A Celebrity would be announced later, with rumours Dec may get a temporary co-host for the 2018 season.

Subscribe on YouTube