While this year's first episode hasn't even started yet, plans are already underway for the live shows.
And The Sun reports that Simon is hoping to get Harry Styles to sing during the final stages of the competition.
"Harry could very well be back on the X Factor stage this year. Simon has made it clear he is very keen to have him on in a guest slot," a source said. "“He sees him as a major ratings boost for the show and it’s also a chance for him to publicly show his support for Harry as a solo artist.
“Meanwhile, Harry is incredibly loyal to his roots and knows the show is a great platform to showcase his material. Discussions are ongoing but things are looking positive.”
While The X Factor live shows will still see guest performers, they could otherwise be "very different" this year.
Show boss Simon previously revealed he hopes to add "more jeopardy" to they begin later this year.
He told The Sun newspaper: “I haven’t even presented it to ITV yet. I think they’ll do it and I think it’s going to be a very different show.”
According to reports, the plan is for the number of live shows to be cut to six weeks but with acts performing and leaving on both the Saturday and Sunday night each weekend.
Both nights will also see guest artists perform in a bid to attract back viewers following one of the least watched series in 2016.
"Ratings plummeted and Simon knew a drastic revamp was needed," a source said. “The Saturday night show became so tedious as there was rarely any drama which an eviction would bring.
“ITV believes transforming it is the right decision. It means all singers will perform on both Saturday and Sunday evenings, with acts being eliminated both nights."
Further changes will include introducing a live studio audience at bootcamp but the brutal six chair challenge remains.
The X Factor 2017 will launch on ITV later this year.
No start date has been confirmed just yet but it's expected to begin the first weekend of September.