The X Factor’s six chair challenge is here and Louis Walsh says it’s a good test for the contestants.
The Six Chair Challenge has been described as brutal, cruel and terrifying by past contestants and judges alike but it’s not going anywhere.
And this year it’s already proving harsher than ever after the Girls category went through to the process on Sunday night with mentor Sharon Osbourne.
We’re expecting more booing, tears and tantrums as the remaining contestants are chosen for judges’ houses this Saturday and Sunday night.
But despite the complaints, Louis reckons it’s a good experience for the acts.
“It’s tough but the music business is tough,” he said. “You have to be able to take knocks. You can’t break them but it’s not easy and it’s survival of the fittest on this show.”
Louis also warned of the ‘dark side’ of the music industry in a chat on Irish TV recently.
“It’s very tough for a lot of people. I see lots of people who become really famous and get lonely, they surround themselves with yes people. They’ll do anything just to get them to tour and make money,” he said.
Speaking on his return as host earlier last year, Dermot O’Leary revealed he had hoped to see the six chair challenge axed.
“The first year I did it, it was carnage.” he explained. “It was absolutely brutal. I’d never felt particularly at ease with it and I’m being very honest about that.
“But it is great TV — you can’t deny that. And when you’re there, you can’t help but get caught up in it.”
The X Factor 2017 continues this Saturday and Sunday night on ITV.