EastEnders to keep temporary boss John Yorke in charge

eastenders 2018

More on

John Yorke is to stay as boss of EastEnders until at least the end of the year.

The TV producer previously worked on the how between 2000 and 2002 and in 2005.

He re-joined in 2017 on a temporary basis to replace outgoing show chief Sean O’Connor who left after a year in charge.

Now The Sun reports that John has signed a new contract to stay at the helm for the rest of the year.

A source said: "John has agreed to stay a bit longer and has signed an extension on his contract to see at least the rest of the year out.”

He will continued to lead the editorial vision for the BBC One soap.

Speaking on John's original appointment last year, Oliver Kent, Head of Continuing Drama Series, BBC Studios said: “On behalf of BBC Studios, I would like to thank Sean O'Connor for all his excellent work on EastEnders.

"John Yorke is a Walford legend and I am thrilled that he will be joining us for a short period to oversee the show and to help us build on Sean's legacy while we recruit a long term successor.”

Piers Wenger, Controller BBC Drama added: “I want to thank Sean on behalf of the BBC for the work he’s done on EastEnders, and we wish him all the very best for the future.

"John Yorke is a creative force in the industry who is passionate about EastEnders, he brings a wealth of experience to the show and will ensure it’s in safe hands while we start the process to recruit a permanent replacement.”

EastEnders airs Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday nights on BBC One.

More on: EastEnders
Subscribe on YouTube