X Factor 2012: Gary Barlow says novelty acts have been given the boot!

Gary Barlow

X Factor judges Gary Barlow and Louis Walsh have claimed that the new series will see the backs of novelty acts.

[cat c="the x factor]The X Factor 2012[/cat] starts on ITV1 later this month, and both Gary and Louis promised more talent than ever before.

"The level of talent feels a real step up from last year," said Take That's [tag]Gary Barlow[/tag]. “Allowing musicians to play their instruments has made a massive difference.

“We have a lot more singer-songwriters, a lot more real ­artists. I’m really excited.”

Louis, the only judge to have been on the panel every series since the show's start in 2004, backed up Gary.

Speaking to the Daily Star Sunday, the Irish music mogul claimed: “This is the best year ever.

"There are a lot less karaoke acts and more real singers. We have a lot less novelty acts.”

This year's show has seen a few rule changes in a bid to attract more talented acts.

Contestants have been encouraged to perform their own tracks and they're now allowed to perform with their own instruments during the audition rounds.

The rules regarding management deals have also been lifted, opening the flood gates to already semi-established acts.

The auditions begin later this month on ITV1.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube