Why Anthony Russell quit The X Factor 2017 revealed

Anthony Russell.

A contestant on The X Factor 2017 has withdrawn from the show, it's been confirmed.

One of the competition's favourites, Anthony Russell has left the series for "personal reasons", a spokesperson for the X Factor revealed.

They said in a statement: "Earlier this month, due to personal reasons, Anthony withdrew from the show.

"We are sad to see him go and wish him all the best for the future."

Anthony's exit was first reported by The Sun newspaper last month.

Anthony Russell
Anthony Russell

An X Factor source revealed: "Anthony has been going through some personal issues for some time - as he sang about at his audition. Those issues were still affecting him. So everyone has urged him to concentrate on getting himself better right now.

"Anthony has always said he will never give up on music. Production are all very fond of him and think he has really potential so have told him, if he straightens himself out, they would love him to have another shot at X Factor next year. That is the perfect incentive for him to get his life back on track".

They added: "The public support really did help him to believe in himself . So everyone hopes he will come back next year healthier"

We first saw 27 year-old singer Anthony from Liverpool audition for the judges earlier this month.

It marked a decade from his very first audition when he was a teenager. At the time, Simon Cowell said no and advised Anthony he needed singing lessons.

Fast forward ten years and Anthony was back on The X Factor, again singing for Simon, Louis Walsh, Sharon Osbourne as well as Nicole Scherzinger.

His take on 'Issues' by Julia Michaels touched the judges.

"I really really loved it. I felt every word you were saying, you told the story of the song so well," praised Sharon.

X Factor Anthony Russell first audition

"You've got a good energy about you. You can interpret a song in your style and make it your version," Simon said in a far more positive review than in 2007.

Anthony got four yeses and made it through to tonight's Six Chair Challenge before his exit, where he was replaced by Sam Black.

The X Factor 2017 airs Saturday and Sunday nights on ITV.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube