There was drama moments before last night's live show when it was revealed the duo would not be performing.
Host Dermot O'Leary said at the top of the episode: "Sadly, due to unforeseen circumstances, Brooks Way will not be performing tonight.”
It's understood the pair have NOT yet been kicked off the show but rather 'suspended' pending an investigation into "serious" allegations.
Will Brooks Way leave The X Factor?
A spokesperson for The X Factor said yesterday evening: "Due to the serious nature of the information which has come to light concerning one of Brooks Way, the group will not be performing in Saturday night’s show pending further inquiries.”
The Sun on Sunday newspaper now sheds light on the allegations that have been made, which concern Josh and his ex-girlfriend.
The tabloid reports on allegations that she was "left ‘black and blue’ during their four-year relationship."
The news follows claims last week that Josh had previously been arrested for allegedly assaulting his ex-partner, but was not charged by police.
Josh is quoted as saying of the incident at the time: “A fight broke out between me and another male at a party. [My girlfriend], along with others, tried to break it up.
“She was accidentally knocked in the process.
“It was never my intention to hurt her or put her in danger — and this situation is way out of my character.”
The decision to suspend Brooks Way - previously known as The Brooks - came with just hours to go before last night's show.
The boys were seen getting their make up done backstage at 5PM as they prepared to sing Cake By The Ocean.
"Not only are the brothers heartbroken and in tears but all the contestants are totally devastated," a insider revealed.
The duo may return next week, depending on the outcome of the investigation.
The X Factor 2016 continues tonight at 8PM on ITV with the first results show.
Despite Brooks Way's potential departure, one act will still leave the competition this evening.