It's not clear precisely what has gone on behind the scenes, but the Welsh duo won't be singing this evening.
Dermot O'Leary opened this year's live shows moments ago and confirmed tabloid reports regarding the pair's exit from the show.
Brooks Way have not (yet) been axed but simply 'suspended' from the competition pending investigation.
"Due to circumstances that have arisen, Brooks Way will not be appearing on tonight's #XFactor show," the official X Factor Twitter account posted.
Supposedly the twin brothers were told the news earlier this afternoon at 3PM ahead of the first dress rehearsal, together with the other singers.
Why aren't Brooks Way singing on The X Factor?
It's understood that the temporary removal from the live line up relates to allegations made about one of the brothers' behaviour towards an ex-girlfriend.
"Everyone is in total shock and no one can quite believe it," an X Factor source told the Daily Star newspaper earlier this evening.
They added: "New information came to light early this afternoon and as a result bosses felt they had no choice but to suspend Brooks Way until further investigation.
And the insider also revealed: "Not only are the brothers heartbroken and in tears but all the contestants are totally devastated."
A spokesperson for The X Factor confirmed that Brooks Way would not be appearing on tonight's first show due to an "Unforeseen circumstance."
The duo may return next week, depending on the outcome of the investigation.
Brooks Way - previously called The Brooks - are made up of teenage brothers Josh and Kyle.
The pair got as far as judges' houses in 2014 but were sent home by Louis Walsh at the time.
The X Factor 2016 goes live this evening at 8PM on ITV.
One act will leave as usual in Sunday night's first results show, also at 8PM.