X Factor 2014 contestant ditched over conviction for fighting

Cheryl Cole (X Factor 2014)

An X Factor 2014 contestant has been ditched from the series over her conviction for fighting.

According to the Daily Star on Sunday newspaper (via the Daily Mirror), Simone Reed "sailed through" the first two auditions on the ITV show.

But when bosses found out about her 2009 conviction for affray after a brawl, which saw her sent to prison, they removed her from the series.

The 25-year-old had impressed judges Cheryl Cole, Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh and Mel B with her cover of The Power of Love by Celine Dion at auditions last month to make it into the next round.

"I'm gutted I'm not through to the live shows," explained Simone.

She told the tabloid: "I was told I would have got though but because of previous convictions and because I have been to prison for violence they can't take me.

"I was younger, I made mistakes but it's not who I am now."

Naturally the story has sparked comments and comparisons with X Factor judge Cheryl Cole's own conviction from 2003.

The Girls Aloud star was found guilty of assault and sentenced to community service after being convicted of punching a toilet attendant when on a night out at a club in Guildford.

Despite her past, Cheryl has still gone on to have a huge career and returns to The X Factor panel this year.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube