X Factor 2014: Cheryl Cole hits back at critics over return

Cheryl Cole

Cheryl Cole has spoken about her decision to return to The X Factor 2014.

It was confirmed yesterday evening that Cheryl Cole would be back on The X Factor this year alongside Simon Cowell, who previously announced his comeback.

X Factor boss Simon Cowell tweeted on Monday night: “It’s official. Cheryl is back. Be careful what you wish for! Most importantly she is a brilliant judge of talent.”

And Cheryl declared “GUESS WHAT!!.. I’m baaaacccckkkkk!!!! #iMayActuallyRingHisNeck“

The pair will return to the panel in the summer and Cheryl has hit back at her critics.

Many viewers - even fans of the Girls Aloud star - reckon she's wrong for returning and especially with Simon after the X Factor USA axe.

But Cheryl insisted: "Once I had said my piece to Simon — which I put in my autobiography — I don’t hold grudges, I remember facts.

“The facts I remember are that I won my first two X Factor series and I had two in the final of my last year.

“The rest is irrelevant to me. I see this as a step forward. We obviously have a great relationship. We banter off each other and bring the best out of each other when we make the decisions. It’s like we’re revisiting it and taking it forward.”

In interviews held in London yesterday, Cheryl also rubbished reports claiming she was demanding to be the only girl on the panel.

“There are people I’d love to join the panel. Definitely a strong woman," the 3 Words singer said. “I’m kind of hoping I don’t have to deal with three guys because otherwise I’ll have no hair — I’ll be pulling it out all the time!”

This year Cheryl plans to take the show "for what it is", adding: "When I first joined X Factor it wasn’t like that. Everything just went a bit mental.

“Now I know that and I’ve taken time out to calm down I’m really excited."

Browse pictures of Cheryl and Simon in London yesterday below...

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube