X Factor 2012: Chris Maloney hits back over death threats

Chris Maloney (X Factor 2012)

X Factor star Christopher Maloney has hit back at viewers who went him death threats after avoiding elimination on Saturday night.

Former favourite Ella Henderson became the latest singer to leave the competition in Sunday evening’s shocking XFactor 2012 results after she fell into the bottom two with James Arthur.

The judges couldn’t split the pair and sent the decision to deadlock, with Ella leaving having received the fewest public votes.

The audience booed when Christopher was saved, but Ella herself wouldn’t comment on whether she was happy Chris had survived over her earlier this week.

She said only: “Everyone is there for a reason.”

This week saw Chris receive some pretty nasty threats, with the Daily Mirror reporting that the police may be made aware of some comments sent to Chris via websites like Twitter.

A spokesperson for The X Factor told the newspaper: “The welfare of our contestants is our key priority and we work with them to provide what support is needed.”

Confident Chris however has stood his ground, and insisted he won't be put off by the comments.

He said: "It's a singing competition, there is no need for death threats.

"It's not nice for me or my family. My nan has been really upset by it all."

The Liverpudlian singer defended himself, adding: "Someone has gone out of the show who was the favourite but that is because the public voted."

[relatedposts]

The X Factor 2012 continues this Saturday on ITV1 and ITV1HD, with the final five acts sing two tracks each with Abba and Motown themes.

Sunday's results show will see one more act get the axe, and there will be performances from Rhianna and Bruno Mars.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube