X Factor 2012: Jahmene Douglas says he has no sob story

The X Factor 2012 Week 5 - Jahmene Douglas

X Factor's Jahmene Douglas has hit back at viewers who have claimed he's been pushing a sob story on the show.

The past couple of weeks have seen plenty of stories about Jahmene's tough upbringing appear in both the press and on the live shows.

The 21-year-old himself revealed last week how he had attempted suicide after his dad was jailed for abusing his mother, but he's insisted it's not been to gain votes.

"I would just like to throw out there that I have only done interviews about my life to raise awareness and funds to help stop domestic violenc [sic]," Jahmene wrote in a post on his official Facebook page last night.

He continued: "Each interview has only been done because donations were made, but I feel I've said enough About myself to bring light to how serious the subject is.. I'd like to focus on the competition now so I can get to a position were I can personally fund the cause."

The youngster added: "And also ... For those who think it is a sob story .. This story was dug up and it would've been printed with or without my input.

"The best thing I saw for it Was painting a positive out of a negative picture for others going through the same thing.

"I want this competition to be about my singing and after the show I can focus on other things, but I'll continue raising awareness"

[relatedposts]

The X Factor continues with its live shows this weekend with a guilty pleasures theme.

Sunday's results show will feature performances from Alicia Keys and Olly Murs, as well as one more act being given the boot.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube