X Factor 2012: Gary Barlow bans his acts from using mobile phones!

Gary Barlow

X Factor judge Gary Barlow has said he plans to ban his acts from using mobile phones this year.

The Take That star felt that acts have been too distracted by social networks such as Twitter and Facebook, leaving some contestants depressed after reading negative comments from viewers.

He said: “Last year’s contestants spent too much time on Twitter when they should have been working on their performances.

“It’s not good for them as they dwell on any negatives they see."

Speaking to the Daily Star, Gary explained: “They’d look at 100 comments and 99 would be positive but all they would think about was the one negative.

“It’s not good for them. I’ll take their phones off them as soon as they go into the contestants’ house."

Gary issued the warning to his finalists on Sunday night, after selecting his final three acts with the help of Cheryl Cole at judges' houses.

The X Factor continues this Saturday and Sunday, with the judges' houses section airing later this month on ITV1.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube