X Factor: Matt Cardle "glad" to have been dropped - announces new album

Matt Cardle

Former X Factor winner Matt Cardle has said he's 'glad' to have been dropped by Simon Cowell, as he prepares to release a new album.

Matt won the show in 2011, but after a less than impressive debut album he was dropped by Simon's Syco record label, who had signed Matt in a joint deal with Columbia.

Speaking at the time, Matt told The Sun: "I think we were going in different ways. I feel super-excited to be finally in control, and fully in control of what I am doing musically and the direction I am going in."

He added: "I don't think you can expect anything in this industry. You have just got to do your best and I feel what I have done has worked well and it wasn’t right for the position we were both in."

Now Matt Cardle returns with new album ‘The Fire’, the follow-up to his platinum selling debut ‘Letters’, released 29th October on So What? Recordings.

‘The Fire’ was written and recorded in London, Toronto and Los Angeles, and features co-writes with Eg White, Steve Booker, James Walsh, and Paul Statham. 29 year-old Cardle produced the album and plays most of the instruments himself. Lead single ‘It’s Only Love’ will also be released 29th October.

One of a very elite group of male solo artists with a platinum-selling debut album, Cardle has sold over 2 million singles and albums combined. Following a sold-out 23 date tour earlier this year, he will embark on a short UK tour culminating in an album launch show at The Scala on Tuesday 23rd October.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube