X Factor 2012 bosses 'to focus on live shows' to win viewers back

X Factor logo
star simon

X Factor bosses have reportedly decided to focus on the live shows and bootcamp episodes of the show in order to win viewers back.

The weekend's latest double bill of X Factor auditions saw another decline in viewers, with ratings dipping to below 8 million for the first time on both Saturday and Sunday night.

The current series had previously launched to the lowest viewing figures since 2006, and have failed to climb since.

According to Star magazine, X Factor producers are now focusing on improving the live shows and bootcamp episodes in order to win back the 3 million lost viewers.

"Admittedly the show did get off to a slow start this year, but right now we're focusing on the Bootcamp episodes and making the forthcoming live shows as amazing as possible," an X Factor insider told the magazine.

The explained this week: "We believe that after the Olympics, interested has waned in TV talent shows, but we are postitive there's plenty of life in the show yet."

And the source said that the planned return of Simon Cowell in some form would no doubt help boost viewer numbers.

"Of course, it'll certainly help to have Simon [Cowell] back on board. He's the original Mr Nasty and still one of TV's main draws," the source added.

The X Factor 2012 auditions conclude this weekend with one final double bill.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube