Michelle Keegan breaks silence on Strictly Come Dancing rumours

michelle keegan 2

Actress Michelle Keegan has denied she'll be a part of the new series of Strictly Come Dancing this year.

It was said BBC bosses would "break the bank" to sign Michelle, who previously starred in ITV soap Coronation Street.

An insider told the Daily Star on Sunday newspaper: “Everyone knows that having Michelle Keegan out on the Strictly dance floor would be ratings gold.

“Everyone behind the scenes thinks she would set the dance floor alight. It’s now a matter of convincing her to sign up.”

The tabloid claims that the show hopes that Michelle would attract younger viewers to the series.

Michelle Keegan
Michelle Keegan on Lip Sync Battle UK

"That’s a demographic that they are desperate to attract to the show and something they are willing to break the bank for," the insider added.

However Michelle has now spoken out to say she won't be on the show.

At least, not right now.

She explained: "I've seen the story, saying that Mark's not letting me do it. To be fair, again, you can't say 'never' to these things, because if it ever comes around, people will be like, 'Oh? You said you'd never do it.'

"But it's something that I wouldn't want to do now."

Michelle, who currently appears on BBC drama Our Girl, previously said she was unsure about taking part in the show.

2014 saw Michelle's husband Mark Wright hit the Strictly ballroom and Michelle said: "It's not put me off, because I do think it's an amazing experience. And he loved it.

"But I think he was so nervous and my heart was in my mouth the whole time, so I'm thinking, 'If I'm so nervous with him doing it, I'm going to be double nervous with me'."

"That's what freaks me out - and live television with millions of viewers. And going out and doing that with a skill that doesn't come natural to you," Michelle added.

Meanwhile, other names rumoured for Strictly in 2018 so far include X Factor star turned TV host Rylan Clark-Neal and The Chase's Mark Labbett.

The quizzer - nicknamed The Beast - is reportedly in talks to join this year's line up.

Mark Labbett

"Mark has become one of the best-known personalities on TV so he has come on to Strictly’s radar," a source told the Daily Mirror newspaper. “They think he could be a real hit with viewers, as he has been on The Chase.

Strictly Come Dancing airs on BBC One.

The line up is usually confirmed in September time.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube