Simon Cowell admits he'll be upset if X Factor loses to Strictly in ratings

Cheryl Cole and Simon Cowell

X Factor boss Simon Cowell has declared war on Strictly Come Dancing in the ratings this autumn.

In recent years the BBC One dancing contest has been getting more and more viewers while people have been tuning out of The X Factor.

When once the ITV series would dominate Saturday nights last year Strictly was sometimes getting two million more viewers.

In a bid to turn around the fortunes of The X Factor Simon has returned to the panel along with Cheryl Cole and the music mogul hopes it'll be the first step to higher ratings.

"Of course ratings are important. If we're second to Strictly, I'm not going to lie, I'll be disappointed," Simon said.

We'll be sure to remember that come the autumn!

Cheryl meanwhile wasn't all that concerned about the numbers, rather just making sure the show will actually be worth watching.

"I don't think that [Ratings] is what we are focusing on right now," she said. "You have to make a great show. Definitely our aim is to make the best X Factor that there has been since we left."

Simon agreed and blamed the recent run of poor viewing figures on outcomes that were just too obvious.

"If we can find the right people to put in front of the public for the finals, it really will feel like a competition and be exciting," Simon explained. "I think the problem last year is it was so obvious who was going o win. It was like 'Who's going to come second?'

"That is not a good show to be on. I like it when it is a bit more even. The final we were on I had already written my winner's speech because I thought One Direction were going to win and they didn't."

The X Factor 2014 begins filming in the summer.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube