Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Bruce Forsyth set to quit?

Bruce Forsyth and Tess Daly (Strictly Come Dancing)

Bruce Forsyth in talks over whether he'll be back on Strictly Come Dancing this year.

The veteran telly hosts has been hosting the BBC One series since 2004 but bosses will discuss his future this month.

BBC One chief Charlotte Moore hinted that the talks could see Sir Bruce step down from the series.

“He is not young and has missed a couple of programmes. So it is really important to have that conversation," she said. “Strictly is a phenomenon of British television and very robust. But it isn’t about one presenter.”

However a show insider insisted that the meeting wasn't anything unusual.

They told the Daily Mirror newspaper: “Every year about this time we speak to Bruce about the following year and his contract. This is nothing new.”

Sir Bruce said last year that he sometimes felt "dragged down" by the series, which airs every weekend between September and Christmas.

But the last run saw Brucie enjoy three weeks off that he says helped give him "more vitality".

He said: “I think it is having that odd Saturday off. It allowed me to take my wife to Florence – have you ever been...I was only there four days but it did me the world of good.

“I did enjoy watching the show when I came back. I am still enjoying it, I thought Blackpool was marvellous and you can’t get a better atmosphere."

But if Sir Bruce ever does quit, he gave his backing to girls Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman to take over.

“I think they have got a chemistry that is working and is very good. And the more they do, the more they will get used to it,” he added.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube