Host of new ITV1 talent show Show Me The Funny, Jason Manford has said that sob stories used on similar shows such as The X Factor have been banned from the series. Speaking ahead of the launch of the new series on Monday, Jason added there would be no "faking" on the programme.
Jason told The Sun about the show: "I have loved hosting. With stand-up there's pressure for everything you say to be funny.
"Stand-up is a brutal job. You stand up in front of people and they tell you if you're funny. There is no way you can fake this show."
Show Me The Funny will see 10 comics challenged to perform a series of gigs in front of a range of tough audiences across the country, all in a bid to win £100,000 and their own stand up tour and DVD. Each week the contestants will be asked to write 5 minutes of new material with the worst performing comic being given the boot.
The show will end with a live final in August at the Hammersmith Apollo with the public deciding the winner in a phone vote.
Presenter Jason meanwhile insisted that the stand ups would be judged on their material alone, saying that sob stories had been banned. "Nobody wants to hear that," he said, "Everyone is sort of looked after and if you have a good time on stage that is what will come across to the audience at home."
Show Me The Funny starts on Monday at 9PM on ITV1.