Declan Donnelly has revealed why he chose Holly Willoughby to co-host I'm A Celebrity this year.
Ant stepped down from TV commitments earlier in 2019 and previously confirmed he would not be back on TV until next year.
Dec said at the time: “Whilst I am obviously sad at the thought of being without my best friend in Australia this year, I am proud of the work Ant has been doing privately and I am fully supportive of his decision. I’m looking forward to us both being reunited on screen in 2019.”
While many called for Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway co-host Stephen Mulhern to join him down under, the job went to Holly Willoughby.
Now Dec has revealed the reason why, saying he didn't want to host the show with another man.
Speaking ahead of I'm A Celeb's launch on Sunday, Dec told The Sun newspaper: "It is obviously tinged with sadness that Ant won’t be coming this year, I’m going to really miss him, but it’s only for one series and he’ll be back stronger next year.
"I’m really grateful to Holly for stepping in and agreeing to come. I didn’t want to host this series with another guy so Holly was top of my list."
Meanwhile, Holly said: "I’m just looking after it until [Ant] gets back. It’s lovely that he trusted me with it.
"It’s much easier if you work with somebody who is a friend. When you genuinely get on on screen, it’s going to work. It’s unsurprising.”
She added: "It is scary. I’ve always loved the show as a viewer and that comes with a responsibility. I want to go in and the audience to really enjoy it.”
I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here will start at 9PM this Sunday night, November 18.