ITV have branded The Great British Bake Off's move to Channel 4 a "weird screw up".
And the channel have revealed they REFUSED to take on the show without its talent agreed.
Channel 4 announced last month it had signed a new three year deal for the show, worth a reported £75 million.
But the news was soon ridiculed as judge Mary Berry quit alongside hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins.
Only Paul Hollywood will stay on board, prompting many to quip that Channel 4 had made millions for little more than a tent.
ITV boss Kevin Lygo has revealed that his channel refused to take on the show without a guarantee that the talent would follow.
He told Broadcast magazine (via DigitalSpy): "You really are buying some sort of baking powder and a tent.
"I said, 'If you can't guarantee it, then no, it's not for us, thank you very much'."
He's quoted as describing what has happened between Channel 4 and BBC One as "just a really weird screw-up", remarking: "It will be studied by television sociologists in years to come, I suspect, about what the f**k went on with that show."
He added: "The BBC should think why did they lose it really. They should ask themselves that pretty closely."
The Great British Bake Off 2016 will air its final episode of the last ever BBC One series on Wednesday night.