Channel 4 "incandescent with RAGE" over Mel and Sue quitting The Great British Bake Off

Broadcaster's boss Jay Hunt promises the show's format will NOT be changed

The Great British Bake Off hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins

Channel 4 is apparently FURIOUS that The Great British Bake Off has lost much-loved hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins - although the broadcaster has promised fans it will not alter the show's winning format.

On Tuesday, less than 24 hours after the bombshell news that the BBC had lost Bake Off to C4, Mel and Sue announced that they would not be "following the dough".

It was initially reported that C4 was unfazed by the duo's decision, with a source telling The Sun: "Baking is what people love. The four stars are just a part of the appeal."

However, The Mirror now claims that chiefs are privately furious at the turn of events.

The newspaper suggests C4 - which is thought to have spent £75million on its three-year deal for Bake Off - was told the show's talent would remain, even though they were not involved in its negotiations with maker Love Productions.

"The top bosses are incandescent with rage after Mel and Sue quit," an insider said. "Even though they weren’t contractually obliged to stay with the production, they were assured the show would retain its stars."

Meanwhile, there is some good news for fans, as C4 has pledged not to change the format that has made Bake Off a success.

Writing in an article for The Telegraph about her decision to go after Bake Off, the network's chief creative officer Jay Hunt insisted it would be a "safe home" for the culinary contest.

"The show of soggy bottoms and good crumb will be made by exactly the same team who have always made it," she wrote. "We love it just as it is."

Her comments came after a spokesperson said earlier this week: "We have no plans to change the incredibly successful format of the show."

Subscribe on YouTube