Paul O'Grady has no regrets about turning down Britain's Got Talent

Paul O'Grady

Paul O'Grady has spoken out about turning down Britain's Got Talent back in 2006.

The TV host had been originally lined up to front the show, with Simon Cowell, Cheryl Cole and Piers Morgan as judges.

But the pilot - named then Paul O'Grady's Got Talent - never got off the ground, with Paul revealing back in 2010: “I told the producers they were having a joke if they thought I would front a show with that title.

“I refused to have it as it sounded quite arrogant.”

And he explained he was BANNED from ITV after rowing with the channel over it all.

Ten years on, and after some changes, the show is now Britain's biggest on TV.

But Paul told The Sun on Sunday at the weekend: “I have no regrets about turning it down. I would get bored if I was a judge on it.

“The show is not about what you are doing on stage.

“It’s about your history and whether you have got a sob story or not.”

He reacted when asked about ever auditioning himself: “Would I sh**e!”

“It’s a great show with all those eccentrics. But I would not go on it if I was starting off today," the chat show host said. “I would not touch it with a barge pole. You have to have a sob story. And I haven’t got skeletons in my closet, I’ve got cemeteries!”

After the original pilot, Cheryl pulled out before Fern Britton took over for another failed test show.

ITV then canned the programme before giving it another shot in 2007, this time with Amanda Holden as a judge, following success in the US.

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube