Britain's Got Talent bosses slammed after holding auditions in schools

Britain's Got Talent 2018

Britain's Got Talent bosses have been slammed for heading into schools to audition kids.

Show producers reportedly went to a number of places in their hunt for talent this year.

Those between the ages of 11 and 18 were invited to audition for the new series, which begins this Saturday night on ITV.

However the move was slammed by some teachers, such as Angela Butler.

She told the National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers (NASUWT) conference in Cardiff how the auditions had seen kids play truant and slammed the show for encouraging children to pursue fame rather than an education.

Mrs Butler said: "Children now think The Voice or Britain's Got Talent or The X Factor or winning the lottery – that's how they're going to get on and have the things that they see celebrities doing. I do think that kids want this quick fix."

It's not the first time BGT has come under attack by child welfare campaigners, however Simon Cowell has always been quick to defend his programme.

He said: "Every kid who comes on our show is there because the child wants to be on our show and we make sure we look after them. As for whether it's the right thing having someone so young singing on the show – they may not have the opportunities in life other people have."

A source told the Western Daily Press newspaper: "Last year was the first time we'd ever gone to schools. We did go to schools all around the country.

"We are the one of the few talent shows that allow kids to enter, so the logical extension of that was going to schools to allow kids to audition as easily as possible."

Get the latest news

Subscribe on YouTube