Big Brother bosses have made a move to keep the house for at least one more year.
But council bosses have reportedly rejected documents submitted to them from the show's production company.
Big Brother's famous bungalow is currently due to be taken down in September when the current contract ends.
A planning application submitted to the local council by programme makers Endemol earlier this month (May) sought a one-year extension.
They state: "Due to the ongoing production needs for the Big Brother programme over the next 12 months, Endemol seeks the retention of the Big Brother building so that those filming commitments can be fulfilled.
"We therefore seek an amendment [...] to allow the Big Brother House and visual/acoustic screening to be retained for a further 12 months."
The Daily Star reports that the council has this week returned the application.
"The plans have been retuned to the applicant," a spokesperson said. "They have been rejected, it wasn't suitable."
Reps for Big Brother and Channel 5 did not comment to the tabloid.
The Big Brother house, situated at Elstree Studios, was originally constructed in 2002. The current planning permission runs between 2013 and 2018.
Even had the application gone through, as yet Channel 5 have not confirmed if the show itself will return beyond the end of the year.
Right now one final 'civilian' series plus a Celebrity run are due to air this summer.
Last week it was said Big Brother definitely won't return in its current form next year.
Last year the two shows launched on the same night and continued clashing most evenings.
The result was Big Brother's lowest viewing figures to date, something which Channel 5 will no doubt be wanting to avoid repeating.
"Love Island did so well last year that there is a fear Big Brother will be lost in its shadow too much," a source said. “In some ways it makes sense to launch later.”
Love Island is due to begin on June 4 meaning Big Brother may not start until August.