Ofcom tell X Factor bosses to "cut the smut" on this year's show

ITV

Telly watchdog Ofcom have reportedly met with X Factor bosses, telling them "cut the smut" from this year's show in order to avoid complaints. Last year saw moor than 5,000 prudes register their disgust with the watchdog over performances by stars on the show, with Rihanna's notching up over 2,000 alone.

Despite the complaints being dismissed - with the watchdog criticising the likes of the Daily Mail for publishing misleadingly provocative pictures of the performances - Ofcom has advised the show to 'tone it down'.

An X Factor source told The Mirror: “There was a furore over last year’s final and the amount of flesh on show.

“So there have been lots of conversations about making sure The X Factor stays a family show and doesn’t become controversial for the wrong reasons. Ofcom made themselves very clear about what they expect, and the message they gave us was basically to cut the smut.

“We want the show to be explosive and exciting and some singers want to look sexy – but we have to know where to draw the line.”

And it looks like ITV have listened, with guests already lined up to perform on this year's show including safe acts such as Take That and Leona Lewis.

Meanwhile Ofcom has revealed plans to limit the use of "racy imagery" on family shows. “The guidelines will be there to make sure broadcasters like ITV don’t hover near the boundaries of harmful content to children," they said.

Another source added: “The controversy really took everyone by surprise – both Ofcom and ITV. There will be a much tighter control on what is shown in terms of racy imagery.”

A spokesperson for ITV confirmed: "We take care to ensure that all our acts are suitable for the audience.”

The X Factor 2011 starts on Saturday.

Subscribe on YouTube